Miss Nelson Has a Field Day
November 17, 2019 | 3:00
A Fun-filled, Musical
MISS NELSON HAS A FIELD DAY
Book, Music & Lyrics by Joan Cushing
Based on the book by Harry Allard and James Marshall
Directed by K. Doug Miller
From the award-winning playwright/composer who brought you DIARY OF A WORM, A SPIDER & A FLY, comes her fun-filled, musical sequel to MISS NELSON IS MISSING. Return to Horace B. Smedley School where the Smedley Tornadoes have never won a football game. In fact, they have never even scored a single point! With such a poor record and a team that is out of control, Coach Armstrong goes bonkers. Kind-hearted Miss Nelson comes to the rescue when she enlists the help of her alter ego, the ill-tempered Miss Viola Swamp, to coach the team and whip them into shape. Considered by all to be “the meanest substitute teacher in the whole world,” Coach Swamp applies her trademark discipline to the players’ training, demanding tough exercises and no back talk. In the end, the team changes their attitude, pulls together, sharpens their skills, and manages to win the biggest game of the year. Frolicking football players, a perky cheerleader, a hilarious spatula-wielding cafeteria lady, and an electrifying Viola Swamp, who transforms from the sweet-faced Miss Nelson, all play a special part in this wacky musical – MISS NELSON HAS A FIELD DAY!
Download Study Guide
Our Sensory-Friendly performance will include the following accommodations:
- Lower sound.
- House lights on a low level throughout the performance.
- Audience members are welcome to bring their own manipulatives, seat cushions, comfort object, headphone, electronics, special snacks, and other support items to the show.
- Audience members are welcome to stand, move around, and enter and leave the theatre as needed.
- Designated quiet and calm spaces.
- Autism specialists and trained volunteers will be onsite; provided by our Program Partner—Center for TLC.
- A social narrative that portrays the theatre-going experience with pictures.
- Paul Fugate and Marciano Gongora, ASL interpreters provided by Deaf Community Advocacy Network – DEAF C.A.N.!
- All Seats: $6
Print at Home Tickets are no longer available. Tickets will be held at Will Call or you can choose the Mail option in your order summary. All Out of State/International ticket orders will be held at Will Call. Tickets will be unavailable online within two hours of show time but can be purchased in person at the Box Office. A $4.50 handling fee per order applies in person, online or by phone.